Moving can be a very stressful, but these 7 tips can help make your move easier.
- Pack an over night bag containing essentials such as a change of clothes, toothpaste, toothbrush, facewash, shampoo, conditioner, soap or body wash, a bath towel, snacks, bottled water and paper towels. This way when you get to your new home, you won’t have to dig through numerous boxes just to get ready for bed.
- In addition to labeling what is in the boxes, label what room they go in. As you carry boxes in to your new home, place them in the applicable room until you have time to unpack.
- Keep sandwich bags close by while you pack for tiny items like hardware for curtain rods etc and label them by room/ what they go to.
- Cover the tops of your toiletries with saran wrap, and then put the lids back on them to avoid spills. Triple check to make sure those lids are tight. It’s very frustrating to open up a box once you get to your new home and discover a bottle has leaked all over every item in there.
- Don’t wait until the last minuet. Start packing things you don’t use often well in advanced. For example if you’re moving in the summer, go ahead and start packing your winter clothes, coats etc once the weather turns warm and store them for the move.
- Declutter! Moving is a great time to downsize your possessions. If you have items you plan to sell or give away, do so at least 6 weeks before the move so they are out of the way when you begin to pack. A yard sale is a great way to get rid of items you don’t plan on bringing to your new home. Anything that doesn’t sell, do not bring back in the house. Pack them up and drop them off somewhere like Goodwill immediately.
- Buy paper plates, plastic forks/spoons/knives and plastic cups. They will be life savers those last few nights in your old home, as well as the first few nights in your new home.